What really matters
Your attitude can make a difference to the lives of people with Down syndrome.
A positive attitude
- With a positive accepting attitude, you will be able to include people with Down syndrome in everyday life and overcome any challenges.
- Let’s aim to make New Zealand a place where people with Down syndrome can say they are accepted as individuals and live in a society where they feel valued and included.
See the person not the condition
- People with Down syndrome are individuals, just like anyone else, with their own likes and dislikes, achievements, interests and personality.
- Don’t blame everything on Down syndrome. A person’s traits and behaviors are part of their individual character, not because of Down syndrome.
- Try to use the phrase “people with Down syndrome” instead of “Down’s people” or “suffering from Down syndrome”.