Is Down Syndrome Inherited?
- Trisomy 21 and Mosaic Down syndrome are not inherited.
- Robertsonian Translocation Down syndrome can be inherited but it can also be spontaneous.
- The chance of having another baby with Down syndrome is very small, only slightly higher than usual.
- Other family members (the baby’s sisters, brothers, aunts and cousins) do not have an increased chance of having a baby with Down syndrome.
- Very few people with Down syndrome have been known to have children. If they do have children, the chance of them having a baby with Down syndrome is high.